Nathan Matthews
With Shauna Hoare

  • Nathan Matthews
  • Shayna Hoare
Kill Total1
Kill PlaceEssex & Nofolk
Kill Date2015
M.O.Stabbing & Strangulation
VictimBecky Watts - 16
CourtBristol Crown Court
JudgeJustice Dingemans 

Thursday 19th February 2015, 16-year-old Becky Watts was staying with a friend overnight, she returned home the next morning, but went straight out again, not telling anyone where she was going, her family later reporting this was very out of character.

Friday 20th February 2015, Becky's family report her missing to police. The family were interviewed, her father, step-mother Anjie Galsworthy, and her step-brother Nathan Matthews along with his girlfriend, Shauna Hoare. It later become apparent, that although Matthews and Hoare had attempted to divert the police by saying they had not seen Becky that day, they were in fact lying and had been in the house at the time of the disappearance.

Matthews and Hoare attacked Becky in her bedroom, then putting her body in their car, and staying at the family home a few hours.
Later that day they drove to the Barton Hill's area where they shared a house, once there they dismembered the body using knives and a circular saw, putting pieces into small bags, and arranging storage at a friends house.

28th February 2015, Police announced they had arrested two people on suspicion of kidnapping.

2nd March 2015, Matthews and Hoare are re-arrested, this time charged with murder.

3rd March 2015, Police announce that a dismembered body discovered in the Barton Hill's area of Bristol, five further people were initially arrested.

4th March 2015, Beck's step-brother Nathan Matthews is formally charged with her murder.

6th March 2015
, four further people were charged with assisting an offender, and attempting to pervert the course of justice.

22nd June 2015, 21-year-old, Shauna Hoare who was originally charged with assisting an offender is now charged with murder.

Tuesday 6th October 2015, Trial starts at Bristol Crown Court. Matthews admitted killing Becky but claimed it was manslaughter as he had only attempted to frighten her.

Hoare claimed no knowledge of the murder, supported by Matthews saying he acted alone. But, the prosecution showed text messages between Hoare and Matthews that proved they had been reading websites about how to dismember a body.

11th November 2015, after three and a half hours the jury found Matthews guilty of murder and Hoare guilty of manslaughter.

13th November 2015, Matthews was sentenced to a 33-years life sentence. Shauna Hoare given 17-years for her part in the murder.

23rd June 2016, Both Matthews and Hoare appeal against their  conviction, this was refused by the court of appeal which said "no reasonable argument that the convictions are unsafe or that the sentences were wrong in principle or manifestly excessive".

Friday 30th December 2016, Matthews attacked at High Security Long Lartin prison by double murderer Royston Jackson, who poured boiling butter over his head and neck. 

Back >>