David Oakes

David Oakes
Kill Total2
Kill PlaceBraintree
Kill DateMay 2011
VictimChristine Chambers - 38
Shania Chambers- 2
CourtChelmsford Crown Court
JudgeMr Justice Fulford
ProsceutionOrlando Pownall QC
DefenceNigel Lithman QC
Case No:T20117205
David Oakes met mother of 4, Christine Chamber in 2005, they set up home together, but the relationship was violent.
He was once seen be neighbours, chasing her in a car as he attempted to run her over. On another occasion, he dragged Christine out of a house by her hair.

21st April 2011, Christine was granted a non-molestation order. The order banned Oakes, who lived on a caravan park in Steeple, near Maldon, Essex, from coming within 100 metres of the family home at Bartram Avenue, Braintree, Essex.

3rd June 2011, After a not very harmonious separation, Oakes visited his former family home.
Oakes told Miss Chambers: "I won't let anyone else have her (Shania). I won't let anybody else be called daddy by my daughter."

5th June 2011, Due in court later the next day for a custody hearing, Oakes let himself into the house in Steeple, Essex. just before midnight. He had a bag containing a shotgun and cartridges, an axe and some petrol, he was also on cocaine and had been drinking. He was at the time on a 100 meter restraining order.

6th June 2011, After a violent row Oakes subjected his ex-partner, Christine Chambers to a horrific sexual assault over about 3 hours. Firstly making her cut her own hair off, then making her strip naked, and conducting degrading acts on her before he shot her in the face at point blank range, 3 times he then shot their 2-year-old daughter, Shania Chambers, also at point blank range.
Oakes then attempted to shoot himself, when discovered he had gunshot wounds to the face, but survived.
Miss Chambers' 10-year-old daughter - Shania's half-sister - witnessed the attacks but managed to escape out of a bedroom window to her father's house close by, the police were called.  Police found Christine in a pool of blood on the landing while tiny Shania was in the bedroom.

When arrested he claimed that he and Christine had argued and fought and that the gun went off accidently, he also claimed that Christine had shot their daughter.

18th April 2012, At Chelmsford Crown Court Oakes denied 2 counts of murder.

Thursday 10th May 2012, The Judge does his summing up and the jury retires to consider a verdict.

Friday 11th May 2012, Jury delivered a unanimous verdict, Oakes was found guilty of double murder.
Oakes was sentenced to 2 while life sentences by Mr. Justice Fulford.
Oakes was not in court to hear the verdict or sentence at the recommendation of prison guards, who feared he may attempt to harm himself.
This put Oakes on the Home Office list of prisoners NEVER to be released, see list here >>
Monday 11th February 2013, Oakes died in hospital after being transferred there from HMP frankand where  he was serving life. An MOJ spokesmen confirmed he died of lung cancer

It was also was reported in the media that Oakes had attempted to buy a burial plot next to his victims.

Recommended Books